This show is archived
In 1905, Jay “The Sport” Jackson dreams of becoming the first African American boxer to fight for the heavyweight championship. Despite racking up a string of vicious knockouts, racial segregation and his white manager’s own reservations stand in the way. Inspired by the true story of Jack Johnson, The Royale breaks new ground by taking us inside the fighter’s mind where the disciplined brutality of boxing reveals itself in theatrically-unforgettable bouts. At stake is more than wins or losses, but equality and survival.
A co-production with 1st Stage in Tyson’s Corner
The Royale - Trailer
- Washington Post: Timely ‘The Royale’ comes out swinging
- DC Metro Theater Arts: 'The Royale' at Olney Theatre Center
- DC Theatre Scene: Olney Theatre's boxing drama wins in a knockout
- MD Theatre Guide: ‘The Royale’ at Olney Theatre Center
- Broadway World: THE ROYALE at Olney Theatre Center - It's a Knockout!
- CultureSpot MC: Olney Theatre Center Puts ‘The Royale’ in the Boxing Ring
- Metro Weekly: Spotlight - Jaysen Wright in The Royale
- MD Theatre Guide: A Quick Five with Paige Hernandez
Related Content on the Blog
- September 29 - Behind The Royale: An Interview with director, Paige Hernandez
- September 24 - A Biography of Jack Johnson
- October 11 - An Interview with Kelly Coburn, Projections Designer for The Royale
- October 21 - Behind The Royale: An Interview with Lolita Marie (Nina)
“The Royale boldly takes on and reorients a familiar genre and a familiar tale… which has been given such original and graceful theatrical form.”THE NEW YORK TIMES
Night at the Movies: Creed (2015)
Saturday, October 19 at 8:15pm • Free
Join us in witnessing another rise of a champion at Olney Theatre Center with a screening of the box office smash Creed. This sequel to the iconic Rocky franchise follows Adonis Johnson as he trains in the footsteps of his father Apollo Creed to become the next boxing legend. But first Adonis needs to prove he’s got what it takes to his father’s former rival-turned-friend Rocky Balboa. Directed by Ryan Coogler (Black Panther), Creed doesn’t pull any punches, delivering knockout performances from a cast that includes Sylvester Stallone, Michael B. Jordan, Tessa Thompson, and Phylicia Rashad.
You might also like
September 25 - October 27 2019