Front of House Associate
Olney Theatre Center, an AEA COST theater with four performance facilities producing a ten-play season plus special events, seeks part-time Front-of-House Associates. This position will work 10-30 hours per week during shows, both weeknights and weekend shifts, as well as occasional weekday shifts and holidays. One must have great customer service skills, and a dedication to service of the theatre and its patrons.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Front of House Sales: Set up, operate, and close up the gift shop, concessions, and alcohol sales for the theatre during performances. Can include set-up and breakdown of remote bars, serving beverages and concessions.
- Customer Service: Assist House Management staff in creating a safe and welcoming environment at the Olney Theatre Center, providing hands-on assistance as necessary/requested. Ensuring patron safety in the event of emergency in accordance with company procedure.
- Maintain the cleanliness of all public spaces. This includes but is not limited to theatres, lobbies, dressing rooms, and bathrooms.
- Collaborating with House Managers, reporting safety or facilities issues or patron concerns.
- Occasional work with development team.
- Cheerful attitude and evident willingness to serve and engage with theater patrons.
- Excellent listening, problem-solving, and verbal communication skills.
- Desire to work as part of a team.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Attention to detail.
- Previous experience in customer service roles preferred.
- Cash handling experience and computer literacy.
- Ability to multitask and work well under pressure
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age, and must have, or be currently pursuing a high school diploma or equivalent
- Front of House Associates are paid hourly and work hours depend on their availability and the Theater's schedule.
- $12.50 per hour
How to Apply
Please email the following materials to email@example.com
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- The name, phone number and email address of one professional reference
- The name, phone number and email address of one personal reference
- A brief statement of interest or cover letter
Olney Theatre Center Institute Advanced Training Program
Each class of full-time apprenticeships plays an essential role in Olney Theatre Center (OTC) operations. Working in every department of production, apprenticeships will learn standards of professionalism while building their resumes and/or portfolios, making them more marketable to future employers.
OTC Apprenticeships offer emerging theatre artists a bridge between the university and the profession. The apprenticeship aims to develop each individual’s skill and knowledge of the professional theatre world through hands-on work in a professional theatre.
Apprenticeships work alongside production staff and directly with visiting directors and designers on various productions in a variety of spaces. From a one-man show performed in a black box to a full-scale, main stage musical, OTC produces a range of theatrical productions.
Each participant will explore his or her chosen discipline (lights, costumes, etc.) while exploring other interests within the theatre. However, acceptance of an apprenticeship requires a full-time commitment. Due to the variable and extended hours of the program and the nature of theatre work, outside employment is not possible.
Learn more about the program and available apprenticeships here.