They’re back! Chicago’s most innovative theatre company, The Hypocrites, return to introduce Olney audiences to their critically-acclaimed, immersive and family friendly version of Gilbert and Sullivan’s H.M.S. Pinafore. Just like in Pirates we're on the high seas—or, in this case, at a slumber party full of pajama-clad sailors—in a playful reimagining of the popular Gilbert and Sullivan classic. Joseph, the Captain’s son, falls for lowly sailor Ralphina Rackstraw…but duty demands that he marry the lofty Admiral Dame Jo-Ann instead! Replete with guitars, ukuleles, and reversed gender roles, this comic tale of love, intrigue, and social satire comes to life as you’ve never seen it before.
Enjoy the show from the promenade, where you sit on-stage and move around the set as the action dictates. And don’t forget to bring the kids! They can hang out in the pillow pit and experience these Gilbert and Sullivan classics in a way they’re sure to love and never forget. Their last gig at Olney Theatre earned two Helen Hayes Award nominations, so the secret is out — The Hypocrites’ substance is as rich as their style.
Don't forget to complete the repertory! The Hypocrites are reprising their hit production of The Pirates of Penzance .
W. S. Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan
Sean Graney, Matt Kahler, and Andra Velis Simon
- The Washington Post: Chicago's Hypocrites bring 'Pinafore' to D.C. in their jammies
- Talkin' Broadway: H.M.S. Pinafore
- MD Theatre Guide: 'H.M.S. Pinafore' at Olney Theatre Center
- DC Metro Theater Arts: 'H.M.S. Pinafore' at Olney Theatre Center
- DC Theatre Scene: The Hypocrites' hijinks with Gilbert & Sullivan's Pinafore. Bring the kids.
- Prince George's Sentinel: 'Pirates' and 'H.M.S. Pinafore' at exceptional performances
- Broadway World: H.M.S. PINAFORE at Olney Theatre Center - Bring the Kids and Enjoy This Spoof of the Famous Gilbert and Sullivan Operetta
"Kids and adults plainly love it!"The Washington Post