This show is archived
Looking to stream A.D. 16 at home? Go here.
Winner of the Edgerton Foundation New Play Award
What if your first crush really was perfect? From the comic genius of Cinco Paul (Despicable Me and the musical hit of the summer Schmigadoon) and Bekah Brunstetter (This Is Us) comes the delightfully witty, sublimely inspiring story of teenaged Mary Magdalene, who falls in love with the carpenter’s son next door… who happens to be a kid named Jesus. In her quest to impress him, Mary has to fend off a trio of 1st-Century Mean Girls and a bunch of Beastie Boys-inspired wiseguys from the Sanhedrin. She learns that getting Jesus to love you back is both easier – and harder – than she ever imagined. With a lush R&B score and a riotous cast of characters, A.D. 16 achieves the rare feat of being both funny and sincere. A thrilling and fun musical for people of all faiths, or no faith at all.
Starring Phoenix Best (Dear Evan Hansen) as Mary and Ben Fankhauser (Disney's Newsies) as Jesus
Scenic Designer Walt Spangler • Costume Designer Emilio Sosa • Lighting Designer Colin K. Bills • Sound Designer Matt Rowe • Wig Designer Anne Nesmith • Dramaturg Alissa Klusky • Production Stage Manager Karen Currie
View our paperless program.
Presented in association with Sloane Productions, LLC
Music & Lyrics by
Video: A.D. 16 Trailer
VIDEO: Love Thy Neighbor
VIDEO: Staging New Musicals
VIDEO: Bible Girl Power
VIDEO: "PERFECT" FROM A.D. 16
Alex De BardEnsemble
Alan H. GreenJacob
Sylvern Groomes Jr.Ensemble/US: Jacob
Tiffany Lyn RoysterSwing
Colin K. BillsLighting Designer
Karen CurrieProduction Stage Manager
Anne NesmithWig Designer
Cinco PaulMusic, Lyrics and Story
Matt RoweSound Designer
Emilio SosaCostume Designer
Walt SpanglerScenic Designer
Christopher YoustraMusic Director
In the Press
- The Washington Post: Review - Saints be praised: Mary Magdalene and Jesus are meet-cute Nazareth teens in a hilarious ‘A.D. 16’
- The Washington Post: The road to ‘A.D. 16,’ Olney Theatre’s musical about a teenage Mary Magdalene in love with Jesus (Preview)
- WTOP: 'Schmigadoon!' creator and 'This Is Us' writer team for 'A.D. 16' at Olney Theatre Center (Preview)
- DC Metro Theater Arts: Olney’s new musical ‘A.D. 16’ entertains immensely (Review)
- MD Theatre Guide: Review: ‘A.D. 16’ at Olney Theatre Center
- DC Metro Theater Arts: Exegesis of a sexy Jesus: A look at love in ‘A.D. 16’
- OUTSpoken: Satirical, Soulful ‘A.D. 16’ Premieres at Olney
- Talkin' Broadway: Regional Reviews - Washington, D.C. "A.D. 16"
- BroadwayWorld Review: A.D. 16 at Olney Theatre Center
Learn more on the blog
We're constantly adding new posts, videos, and photos to our blog about our shows that take you deeper into the content, behind the scenes with the artists, and invite your feedback. Follow us on Facebook to be updated when new posts go live.
A Parent's Guide to A.D. 16
Behind the Scenes Events
Women and the Gospels
Saturday, February 19, 2022
6:00 - 7:00 pm
Free with RSVP
Also available via Livestream
Behind the Scenes brings together a powerhouse panel of Biblical scholars to discuss the intersection of gender, culture, and faith through the portrayal of women in the Hebrew and Christian Bible.
Speakers: Reverend Diane Dixon-Proctor (Sharp Street United Methodist Church), Dr. Annalisa Buttici (Georgetown University), and Cantor Stephanie Weishaar (Kol Nefesh).
Video: Cinco Paul & Bekah Brunstetter In-Conversation
Prior to opening night, Jason Loewith sat down with creators A.D.16., Cinco Paul (Lyrics and Music) and Bekah Brunstetter (Book) to talk about the process of creating their new musical.
Supported in part by the Frank Young Fund for New Musicals, a program of National Alliance for Musical Theatre, with funding from The Hollywood Pantages, a Nederlander Organization - namt.org.
Health and Safety
We ask that if you are experiencing symptoms, please stay home. Use this CDC symptom checklist to see if you need to quarantine or get tested.
MASKS & PROOF OF COVID-19 VACCINATION
Masks and proof of COVID vaccination are required to attend for all patrons. Exemptions may be made for those who are not vaccinated, such as children under 5, people with certain medical conditions preventing vaccination, or those with closely held religious beliefs. These patrons must provide proof of a timely negative Covid-19 PCR test taken within 48 hours or a rapid antigen test taken within six hours of showtime. Feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
This policy will remain in effect for the remainder of the run of A.D. 16. Any changes will be announced following the run at the end of March.
Along with a photo ID, please be prepared to show one of the following proofs of vaccination:
- You may present either your original vaccine card, a legible digital or hard copy
- You may present one of the commonly used vaccine passport apps that verify both your vaccination status and i.d. such as Health Pass, Bindle, VaxYes
- Digital vaccination cards through your home Health Department (check with your state/county’s Health Department if not listed here): Maryland, DC, Virginia
Visit our Health and Safety page for our latest policies to keep you safe as we return to the stage!
You might also like
February 4 - March 20 2022