Olney Theatre Center is in search of an HR & Finance Manager to join its administrative staff. This administrative position within the Finance Department reports to the General Manager and works closely with the Director of Finance. The HR & Finance Manager will work with staff on all HR matters including but not limited to payroll, benefits, workplace policy concerns, and hiring processes. Financial responsibilities include working with the Director of Finance to manage accounts payable and prepare for the annual audit.
Olney Theatre Center produces, presents, and tours extraordinary performances for a diversity of audiences as well as educates and inspires the next generation of theatre-makers. The successful candidate will join a growing regional theatre that emphasizes artistic rigor, prioritizes equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility, and places collaboration at the center of our work.
Core functional areas and responsibilities include:
- Human Resources
- Review and update forms and documents to conform to annual changes in laws and rates as needed
- Keep up with HR best practices and relay information as needed to appropriate staff
- Receive and process employee concerns and complaints as guided by the Employee Handbook and Anti-Harassment Policy
- Update Employee Handbook as needed
- Assist full-time staff with benefits, time-tracking, and payroll
- Maintain Human Resources files for all employees, including hard copy and electronic files in ADP
- Set up employee training for internal systems
- Conduct onboarding and exit interviews
- Coordinate hiring of new staff among all departments
- Report all Worker’s Compensation claims
- Manage open payables filing
- Communicate with vendors as needed
- Enter invoices into QuickBooks
- Input credit card transactions to QuickBooks
- Match checks to invoices; mail and distribute in-house checks as required
- Scan and file paid invoices
- Payroll Administration through ADP
- Pull back-up documentation for annual audit
- Other accounting support as needed
- Administrative Support
- Serve as point of contact for office equipment contracts
- Monitor and maintain office supply inventory
- Oversee common work areas
- Serve as point of contact for brokers of all organization insurance policies including but not limited to general liability, automotive, umbrella, health, life, disability, and Worker’s Compensation insurance
A successful candidate will have 3 years of experience in Human Resources and be a team player.
This position is full time and reports directly to the General Manager. Salary is competitive and includes benefits including health and dental insurance, 403(b) with employer match, paid vacations and holidays along with opportunities for professional development.
Start Date: January 6, 2020 or later. Search will continue until position is filled.
How to Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org a resume and cover letter. No phone calls.
Associate Director of Production
The Associate Director of Production serves as the right hand to the Director of Production, who oversees all production aspects of the Theatre’s producing spaces. Olney Theatre Center produces, presents, and tours extraordinary performances for a diversity of audiences as well as educates and inspires the next generation of theater-makers. The Associate Director of Production will work closely with production staff and visiting artists to help them accomplish artistic goals and meet deadlines in a timely and cost-effective way. The Associate Director of Production works with the Director of Production to plan and oversee all aspects of Olney Theatre Center’s production operations. The successful candidate will join a growing regional theatre that emphasizes artistic rigor, prioritizes equity, diversity and inclusion, and places collaboration at the center of our work. As a part of a welcoming and creative organization the Associate Director of Production will:
- Assist with the day to day management of the Production Department and stand-in on occasion for the Director of Production as the calendar and circumstances warrant
- Assist with financial management and record keeping
- Assist with production calendar management
- Assist with production contracting
- Share oversight and mentorship of the Production Management Apprentice with the Director of Production
- Participate in recruitment and training of the Production Management Apprentice
- Staff functions include, but are not limited to attendance at orientations, staff meetings, production meetings, and evaluations
- Chair the Safety Committee
- Work with the Associate Master Electrician to staff rentals
- Completing Capital Campaign duties as assigned, dealing primarily with maintaining operations, mostly production. The Associate Director of Production works with Owners' Representative, as time allows during construction, allowing the Director of Production to remain focused on the Mainstage shows and ensure operations aren't impacted as the Associate Director of Production handles construction-related issues
Essential Skill Level & Experience:
- Previous experience in theatre or other similar live events.
- A positive team player with excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage expenditures and budgets
- Prior knowledge of financial software preferred, but not required
- Ability to create schedules and meet deadlines
- A strong sense of humor
- A talent for juggling multiple projects
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Google Suite
Salary: Full time position with a competitive salary, vacation, and health benefits, and retirement plan with employer contribution. This position is available December 1, 2019.
Interested applicants should email three references, a cover letter, and resume to email@example.com
Digital Brand Journalist
Olney Theatre Center, one of the DMV’s most exciting theater companies, is seeking a Digital Brand Journalist to tell our story in new and creative ways. Olney Theatre produces, presents and tours extraordinary performances for a diversity of audiences, and educates and inspires the next generation of theater-makers. We are seeking a Digital Brand Journalist to expand our marketing team and become an important creator/producer of content to be distributed online that speaks to our multiple audiences, our colleagues in the field of American regional theatre and our community partners. The successful candidate will join a growing regional theatre that emphasizes artistic rigor, prioritizes equity, diversity and inclusion, and places collaboration at the center of our work. As a part of a welcoming and creative organization you will:
- Tell the story of Olney Theatre Center through video and online content in ways that attract new audiences and deepen the connection with existing audiences.
- Book and oversee production of multi-camera BRoll shoots of all season shows and National Player productions. Supervise out-sourced editing for quick turnaround of 30-60 second trailers.
- Conceive, Storyboard, Produce, Shoot and Edit at least 2 videos per production for distribution that take our audience behind-the-scenes of a show, build excitement and deepen engagement. These videos must be highly-shareable social content for distribution to multiple channels.
- Strategize and manage OTC’s social media as part of OTC’s marketing plans.
- Create additional content for Olney Theatre’s different operations including National Players, development, special events, company management, community engagement, education and others. You will also be central to the important storytelling of Olney Theatre’s first capital campaign in more than twenty years: Staging the Future, A Campaign to Transform Olney Theatre Center
- Create and optimize OTC’s email campaigns to promote current and upcoming performances, educational programs, and fundraising objectives.
- Drive OTC to innovate on existing and emerging social platforms and be able to enhance the Theatre’s unique POV on each.
- Join the editorial team and contribute content to the Olney Theatre Center blog.
- Maintain library of BRoll and distribute as necessary.
- Report on effectiveness of social media campaigns using monitoring services and platform-generated results.
The ideal candidate has:
- Experience creating videos from 3 seconds to 10 minutes in length. Must submit a demo reel of at least 5 work samples.
- An Instagram account that communicates your personal narrative through visuals that are clever, composed and appealing.
- A list of organizations or companies that you think are creating the most compelling content on Social Media and the ambition to compete with the best of them.
- The ability to adopt and cultivate the organizational voice of OTC, which is friendly, rigorous in its artistry and accessible.
- The desire to work collaboratively, around creative people with strong opinions and big personalities who treat each other with respect and professionalism.
- An ability to carry out a concept from start to completion, on your own and as a manager of talent and technical staff.
- Great communication skills.
- A proven ability to meet deadlines.
- A talent for juggling multiple creative projects and switching easily between decisions for each.
- Exceptional computer skills. Knowledge of Macintosh operating platform a must. PC understanding a plus. Thorough knowledge of the following software applications is desired: Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro (or other video editing software) and Microsoft PowerPoint and Word. Experience with Wordfly, MailChimp or similar email program.
Requires 2-5 years of experience in video production, photography and digital media. A BA/BFA degree is not required but useful with coursework emphasis in video production, photography and digital media. Seeking candidates that bring diverse perspectives, experiences and knowledge. This position involves lifting and maneuvering video equipment that can weigh up to fifty pounds.
This position is full time and reports directly to the Director of Marketing and Communications. Salary is competitive and includes benefits including health and dental insurance, 403(b) with employer match, paid vacations and holidays along with opportunities for professional development.
Olney Theatre Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages people of all races, faiths, abilities, sexual and gender identities to apply.
Start Date: November 1, 2019 or later. Search will continue until position is filled
How to Apply
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org a resume and cover letter with:
- links to clip reel or 5 pieces of your work or work you had significant responsibility for producing
- links to social media accounts of organizations you think are doing great work
No phone calls.
Olney Theatre Center is seeking a Company Manager to join the Production team. Olney Theatre Center produces, presents, and tours extraordinary performances for a diversity of audiences, educates and inspires the next generation of theatre makers. The Company Manager will report directly to the Director of Production and will work closely with the Associate Director of Production and the General Manager, while providing direct mentorship to a full-year Company Management Apprentice. The successful candidate will join a growing regional theatre that emphasizes artistic rigor, prioritizes equity, diversity and inclusion, and places collaboration at the center of our work. As part of a welcoming and creative organization, the Company Manager will:
- Oversee all contracting from start to finish.
- Coordinate travel for artists and staff.
- Provide hospitality during tech week and for internal events.
- Oversee payroll for production departments.
- Facilitate resident room turnovers and housing assignments at two theater-owned locations.
- Oversee company car fleet and facilitate repairs.
- Participate in regular Facilities and Safety Committee meetings.
- Oversee yearly and show-specific budgets, including tracking and reconciliation.
A successful candidate will:
- Be highly collaborative, maintain a positive outlook, and demonstrate leadership and prioritization skills.
- Be empathetic toward all peoples and situations, and be comfortable handling sensitive/confidential information with tact.
- Have a minimum of 2 years of experience working in hospitality, office management, or the customer service field.
- Be comfortable handling conflict and maintaining professionalism.
- Be proficient with Microsoft Office Suite and Google Suite. Tech savvy is a plus.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
Full time position with a salary of $23,000 plus housing (see details below**), vacation, and health benefits, and retirement plan with employer contribution.
**Position includes company-provided housing in Montgomery County, MD with all utilities and internet paid, cable, on-site laundry.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should email a cover letter, and resume, and three references to email@example.com
Sound and Projection Supervisor
The Sound and Projection Supervisor is OTC’s point-person in the following areas: systems manager for both sound and projections for all OTC productions and special events on our four theater campus, including the setup and maintenance of all sound and projections systems and equipment, management and leadership of the Sound/Projections Department, including: budget management, equipment maintenance, strategizing new acquisitions, recruitment and mentorship of OTC’s annual Sound Apprentice, plus serve as OTC’s Standby Engineer.
This position works closely with all Sound Designers, Projection Designers, OTC’s Resident Sound Engineer, and reports directly to the Director of Production.
A successful candidate will have a minimum of 4 years of experience in the field of sound and projections, have strong leadership skills and be a team player.
Olney Theatre Center strives to be and advocate for all people of different backgrounds including but not limited to race, sexual orientation, gender identity and religion.
Full time position, competitive salary, vacation, health benefits, and retirement plan with employer contribution. The position start date is negotiable.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Front of House Associate
Olney Theatre Center, an AEA COST theater with four performance facilities producing a ten-play season plus special events, seeks part-time Front-of-House Associates. This position will work 10-30 hours per week during shows, both weeknights and weekend shifts, as well as occasional weekday shifts and holidays. One must have great customer service skills, and a dedication to service of the theatre and its patrons.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Front of House Sales: Set up, operate, and close up the gift shop, concessions, and alcohol sales for the theatre during performances. Can include set-up and breakdown of remote bars, serving beverages and concessions.
- Customer Service: Assist House Management staff in creating a safe and welcoming environment at the Olney Theatre Center, providing hands-on assistance as necessary/requested. Ensuring patron safety in the event of emergency in accordance with company procedure.
- Maintain the cleanliness of all public spaces. This includes but is not limited to theatres, lobbies, dressing rooms, and bathrooms.
- Collaborating with House Managers, reporting safety or facilities issues or patron concerns.
- Occasional work with development team.
- Cheerful attitude and evident willingness to serve and engage with theater patrons.
- Excellent listening, problem-solving, and verbal communication skills.
- Desire to work as part of a team.
- Reliability and punctuality.
- Attention to detail.
- Previous experience in customer service roles preferred.
- Cash handling experience and computer literacy.
- Ability to multitask and work well under pressure
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age, and must have, or be currently pursuing a high school diploma or equivalent
- Front of House Associates are paid hourly and work hours depend on their availability and the Theater's schedule.
- $12.50 per hour
How to Apply
Please email the following materials to email@example.com
- A resume outlining work experience and education
- The name, phone number and email address of one professional reference
- The name, phone number and email address of one personal reference
- A brief statement of interest or cover letter
Olney Theatre Center Institute Advanced Training Program
Each class of full-time apprenticeships plays an essential role in Olney Theatre Center (OTC) operations. Working in every department of production, apprenticeships will learn standards of professionalism while building their resumes and/or portfolios, making them more marketable to future employers.
OTC Apprenticeships offer emerging theatre artists a bridge between the university and the profession. The apprenticeship aims to develop each individual’s skill and knowledge of the professional theatre world through hands-on work in a professional theatre.
Apprenticeships work alongside production staff and directly with visiting directors and designers on various productions in a variety of spaces. From a one-man show performed in a black box to a full-scale, main stage musical, OTC produces a range of theatrical productions.
Each participant will explore his or her chosen discipline (lights, costumes, etc.) while exploring other interests within the theatre. However, acceptance of an apprenticeship requires a full-time commitment. Due to the variable and extended hours of the program and the nature of theatre work, outside employment is not possible.
We will post info for the 2020-21 apprenticeships in January 2020.
Learn more about the program and available apprenticeships here.