NATIONAL PLAYERS IS CASTING!
We are seeking a Black male for Tour 72! Our productions are A RAISIN IN THE SUN and A MIDSUMMER NIGHT’S DREAM. Actors will perform in both shows as well as fulfilling other duties of the tour (see details below). Due to COVID, National Players was unable to hold our traditional auditions this year and are primarily using the same company whose tour was cancelled a year ago, so this is the only opportunity to join this company that we’ve been able to offer! We hope you consider it.
TO SUBMIT: Please send your headshot/resume (if you don’t have a headshot/resume you can submit a current photo and a description of your experience thus far) as well as a video submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your video should include a Shakespeare monologue, a contemporary monologue, and a bit of you telling us about why you’d like to join the ensemble.
The National Players is a ten-actor touring ensemble presenting classic stories in fresh ways for contemporary audiences. The company performs a repertory of shows and educates audiences around America, utilizing theatre and education to build communities. The contract for Tour 72 (A Raisin In The Sun and A Midsummer Night’s Dream) runs from June 1, 2021, to June 5, 2022. All Players must be available for the entire contract period.
In classic American touring fashion, company members perform in all plays and operate all onstage, backstage, and offstage elements. The desire to hone one's craft on and off-stage is an essential component for all Players. Decades of alumni have gone on to successful careers in Hollywood, on Broadway, and throughout America's regional theatre markets, and we're looking forward to working with our next ensemble.
Benefits to being a National Player:
- $275 for the fall leg / $330 for the spring leg - weekly stipend paid via direct deposit
- On-site accommodations at Olney Theatre Center during rehearsal and local touring, hotel accommodations while on tour.
- Touring the greater United States (touring radius: New England / Florida / Arizona / Wyoming)
- Honing your craft through 10 months of performances.
- Educating future audiences and artists of America
- An alumni network rooted in Washington, DC, but sprawling from coast to coast
Responsibilities of being a National Player:
- Work with a troupe of nine other actors on a three-show repertory
- Handle one or more areas of technical/administrative/off-stage responsibilities for the tour
- Education and community outreach to students of all ages
- Loading-in and striking shows at many different venues
- Assist in driving and arranging accommodations while on tour
Other things to know:
- Three to four weeks unpaid holiday break in December/January
- September-December: A concentrated presence in the Mid-Atlantic region with heightened outreach in Maryland. Players will remain local to OTC and not tour until the Spring.
A Brief History of National Players:
Celebrating its 70th season, National Players is a unique ensemble bringing innovative theatre to communities large and small across the United States. Founded in 1949, National Players is the hallmark outreach program of Olney Theatre Center in Olney, Maryland. A model for artistic collaboration and national education outreach, National Players embodies the Olney Theatre Center educational pedagogy: to unleash the creative potential in our audiences and artists, and to stimulate individual empowerment. National Players exemplifies these goals by presenting self-sustained productions of Shakespeare and other classics to learners of all ages and in all environments. Through performances and integrated educational programs, National Players empowers these learners to build stronger communities through artistic collaboration. National Players has performed in 42 states; in the White House; and for American military in Europe, Asia, and the Arctic Circle. Committed to artistic excellence and community engagement, National Players has brought literature to life for more than 3 million people.
Check out the videos below for more information about the National Players. If you have further questions or would like to submit a video audition, please email email@example.com.