New Voices is a two week production process for students ages 13-19 that takes original one-act plays from script to stage for public performance. These plays will be written, directed, designed, performed, and technically managed by program participants, running from June 20-July 2. No previous theatrical experience required! Production mentorship will be provided by experienced members of the Olney Theatre Center staff. The program culminates in a final performance of the one-act plays on July 1 and July 2 at 7:00pm. With New Voices, students can be extensively involved in all aspects of the theater, not just performance.
***This program will occur in person this year. However, with the current state of COVID-19 in Montgomery County, there are certain precautions that must be put in place. All participants must be fully vaccinated and boosted as of the beginning of the program. Additionally, masks must be worn at all times while indoors on Olney Theatre’s campus. This information is subject to change based on Olney Theatre Center’s policy. ***
About the Program
- allows students a chance to create their own work with guidance and resources from professionals
- has participation opportunities in writing, technical theatre, production design, and directing, for those who do not wish to perform
- requires no previous experience
- gives teenagers the opportunity to build their community and collaborate with one another
Students are invited to choose one of six pathways to explore this theme during a two-week production process. For some of the pathways, participation requires meeting certain deadlines and/or a weekly time commitment prior to the start of the festival on July 1st and 2nd. Attached are the details and requirements specific to each pathway.
If interested in writing a piece for our program this year, please write a 10-30 minute play responding to the following prompt:
Tell us about a time when a situation or event made you change your perspective on a major aspect of your life.
How to register
How to Register:
Complete the online registration formRegister
Click on a pathway to learn more and apply!
- Playwriting (deadline: May 18)
- Production Design (deadline extended: May 20)
- Stage Management (deadline: May 20)
- Directing (deadline extended: May 20)
- Performance (deadline: June 10)
- Technical Crew (deadline: June 15)
To see program dates and a preliminary rehearsal schedule, please visit our calendar.
Note that the deadline for play submissions is on May 18. For more information on the submission process & guidelines, click here.
- Parents/Guardians must complete the New Voices Registration form.
- The program fee is $100. Financial aid is available if needed. Please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Students must click a pathway below with further instructions to apply.
Playwriting (deadline: May 18)
Production Design (deadline: May 20)
Directing (deadline: May 20)
Stage Management (deadline: May 20)
Performance (deadline: June 10)
Technical Crew (deadline June 15)
Questions? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to contact this year’s student program leaders, Joe Huddle and Reese Schenkel.
If you need to reach the Olney Theatre administrator that is overseeing this project, email email@example.com.