POSITION: COSTUME SHOP SUPERVISOR
POSITION TYPE: Full Time Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Production
Olney Theatre Center is seeking a Costume Shop Supervisor to join the Production team. Olney Theatre Center for the Arts produces and curates theatrical performance for the diverse audiences in our community, and educates, learns from, supports and inspires a more inclusive generation of theater-makers. Olney Theatre Center produces nine shows as part of their Main Stage season along with the National Players Tour and additional Curated Events. The Costume Shop Supervisor will report directly to the Director of Production. The successful candidate will join a growing regional theatre that emphasizes artistic rigor, prioritizes equity, diversity and inclusion, and places collaboration at the center of our work.
As part of a welcoming and creative organization the Costume Shop Supervisor will:
- Create and manage a master costume shop schedule and all costumes shop personnel
- Manage all show budgets, yearly budgets, store accounts, and credit card purchases.
- Collaborate with Costume Designers to help them achieve their designs
- Create a work plan and cost out for each production
- Identify and hire specialists such as craftspeople and artisans within pre-established budgets
- Participate in production meetings, fittings, and tech rehearsals
- Schedule fittings with Stage Management
- Manage the procurement and return of all purchased and rented items
- Make arrangements as necessary for dry-cleaning, cobbler, and hair cutting
- Participate in the construction of costumes when time allows
- Curate and maintain all aspects costume storage
- Participate in the selection, mentoring, training, and work assignments of the Costume Apprentices
SKILLS AND VALUES REQUIRED:
- Investment in OTC’s Mission, Vision and Values, and its Statement on Social Justice and Becoming Anti-Racist.
- Understand the workflow of a costume shop and demonstrate excellent management and leadership.
- Have experience in theatrical patterning, cutting, construction, and costume crafts.
- Have practical knowledge of tools, equipment, and materials normally found in costume shops
- Possess excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Have experience successfully managing expenditures, budgets, schedules, and deadlines
- Delegate and oversee the completion of multiple projects
- A strong sense of humor
- A love of mentoring
SALARY AND START DATE:
The anticipated start date is June 1, 2021, but OTC will continue searching until the right candidate is found. This position will not be filled unless at least 33% of qualified finalist candidates are people of color. Salary is $46,000-$52,000 per annum, depending on experience. Olney Theatre Center offers a full benefits package, including modest 403(b) match. Olney Theatre Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages candidates from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. Please visit www.olneytheatre.org for more details.
ABOUT OLNEY THEATRE CENTER
Located ten miles north of Washington, DC in arts-rich Montgomery County, Maryland, Olney Theatre Center is one of the Washington region's most critically acclaimed large theater companies. Founded in 1938 as a summer stock company on the Straw Hat circuit, OTC is now an $8M/year professional regional theater offering nine member productions annually in three spaces on its fourteen-acre campus. Legendary performers Tallulah Bankhead, Helen Hayes, Sir Ian McKellen, Tandy & Cronyn, and Olivia de Havilland trod the boards in the early days. With a more recent turn towards new work, creatives with Tony and Grammy Awards, OBIEs, and MacArthur Genius Grants have premiered their work here, like Moises Kaufman and Sergio Trujillo, among others. Along with Baltimore's Centerstage, Olney Theatre Center is one of Maryland's two state-designated theaters. After the pandemic, OTC’s return to programming will feature more interdisciplinary work – music and dance series, spoken word, and other kinds of performance – alongside its regular slate of plays and musicals.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send resume, cover letter and three references to email@example.com. No calls, please. Depending on volume of responses we may only be able to respond to candidates we wish to interview.
Posted: March 3, 2021