Director of Development
Olney Theatre Center, an award-winning regional theater outside Washington, DC, seeks a passionate, dynamic, collaborative, and creative professional to add to our inspired and imaginative team. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Development will be responsible for leading a department that raises more than $3M annually from individuals, foundations, corporations, and public agencies. The position is a member of the senior management team and oversees a department of two full-time staff, the Individual Giving Manager and the Institutional Giving Manager, and a part-time apprentice. In addition to annual giving responsibilities, s/he will work closely with the Managing Director, Artistic Director, and Board of Directors to develop and implement a $10M Capital Campaign, beginning in 2018, to advance and upgrade Olney Theatre's 14-acre campus, including its four buildings, to better support its exceptional programming.
- At least five years of experience as a proven fundraising professional and two years of supervisory experience;
- Experience managing all strategies for donor cultivation and solicitation;
- A demonstrated record of securing major gifts;
- A keen understanding of inspiring meaningful donor relationships through a "moves management" process
- Experience planning, leading, and/or participating in a Capital Campaign, special purpose campaigns, and annual giving campaigns
- An eagerness to build partnerships across departments;
- Success with volunteer management and fundraising events
- A remarkable capacity to take on challenges with enthusiasm and heart;
- An entrepreneurial spirit;
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited institution or equivalent work experience;
- Knowledge of Tessitura, Raiser's Edge or similar fundraising software;
- Good sense of budget planning;
- Outstanding written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills;
- A passionate belief that art makes our world better;
- A strong sense of collaboration and a love of enterprise;
- Occasional evening and weekend work
- Salary commensurate with experience
- Full benefits package
HOW TO APPLY
There are currently no part-time positions available.
Each class of full-time apprenticeships plays an essential role in Olney Theatre Center (OTC) operations. Working in every department of production, apprenticeships will learn standards of professionalism while building their resumes and/or portfolios, making them more marketable to future employers.
OTC Apprenticeships offer emerging theatre artists a bridge between the university and the profession. The apprenticeship aims to develop each individual’s skill and knowledge of the professional theatre world through hands-on work in a professional theatre.
Apprenticeships work alongside production staff and directly with visiting directors and designers on various productions in a variety of spaces. From a one-man show performed in a black box to a full-scale, main stage musical, OTC produces a range of theatrical productions.
Each participant will explore his or her chosen discipline (lights, costumes, etc.) while exploring other interests within the theatre. However, acceptance of an apprenticeship requires a full-time commitment. Due to the variable and extended hours of the program and the nature of theatre work, outside employment is not possible.
Learn more about the program and available apprenticeships here.
Celebrating their 68th season, National Players is "America's Longest Running Touring Company." National Players tours from mid-September to mid-May with three shows in repertory, which may perform together or separately.
If you are interested in auditioning for National Players, you must be a non-equity actor who has completed a post-high school academic experience (i.e. college degree or certificate program). More information about National Players auditions can be found here.
Olney Theatre Center does not accept unsolicited manuscripts.